Tuesday, April 26, 2011

60th Annual National Day of Prayer

National Day of Prayer Task Force

For those of you who don't know next Thursday, May 5th will be the 60th annual observance of the National Day of Prayer. As quoted on the website the mission is to "mobilize prayer in America and encourage personal repentance and righteousness in the culture". Generally this is a one day event focused on prayer in seven specific areas: Government, Military, Media, Business, Education, Church, and Family.

I can remember as a middle school student gathering around a five foot pine tree with a paper flag on top to join in prayer before school. As time progressed my small Christian school aquired its own flag pole and we were able to gather there. In college I walked across campus after going to bed just a few hours earlier to join in prayer with believers. But it was not the location or the flag and certainly not the time of day that made this event so meaningful and memorable. It was the prayer. Standing beside teachers, staff,  fellow students, and sometimes complete strangers praising our Lord and laying our requests before Him that made the time so special.

This year's theme verse is Psalm 91:2
                                      "I will say of the Lord He is my refugee and                                        fortress, my God, in whom I trust."

I encourage you to get involved. It can look very different depending on you circumstances but don't let Thursday pass like any other day. Be intentional to set time aside and pray, in your home, workplace, school, or at an organized public event. 

You can go to  http://nationaldayofprayer.org/ to find more information about the day or to find an event near you.

Next week I will be devoting my posts to the theme of prayer. I hope that you will stop back then and let me know how you are planning on participating. How does your family make prayer a priority? Do you have any interactive ways of teaching you children the importance of prayer? I would love to hear your ideas and/or questions!

No comments:

Post a Comment