Friday, April 1, 2011

Psalms For Children

Written By:
Elspeth Campbell Murphy
Illustrated By: Jane E Nelson

Appropriate for Ages:
Toddler through 8 years old
Another classic from my past, this book is an overview of Psalm 139.The text takes the big ideas from Psalm 139 and puts them into everyday occurances children encounter. For example Psalm 139:2 says, "You know when I sit down and when I rise up..." The author illustrates this idea with the phrase, "You see me when I run and when I rest."

The foundational idea that God knows and sees everything that a person says, does, and thinks is the basis for the first half of the book. Followed by a few pages stating that we cannot escape God's presence; He is everywhere. The book ends by revisiting the omnipresence of God and introducing our need for God to show us our sin. While this in no way can replace the scripture, I appreciate the simplicity the author uses to bring a lofty text to children. Personally I would use these texts (Psalm 139 and Where Are You, God?) together empasising the Word of God.

This series (David and I Talk To God: Psalms for Children) includes twelve books that parallel a particular Psalm. Where Are You, God? is book number two in the series. The books include full page spreads of simple sketches that alternate black/white and color. The pages include a few simple sentences using words and situations that children will understand without compromising the important truth of God's Word.
Although these books are no longer in print they are is still available used on Amazon. The title is at the top of the page is linked to the direct page on Amazon's site.

No comments:

Post a Comment